Application Deadline: April 12, 2015
OPPORTUNITY: The City of Palo Alto’s Public Art Program invites artists to submit proposals of engaging existing artworks in a variety of durable media for the purpose of temporary installation (a few days up to 2 years) throughout various outdoor sites in Palo Alto, CA. Proposals selected through this call will be considered for exhibition during the 2015 and 2016 calendar years.
BUDGET: Up to $5,000 per installation all inclusive. Artists are responsible for all costs, equipment and labor related to the transportation, installation, display, maintenance, and removal of the artwork.
ELIGIBILITY: The opportunity is open to all professional artists and artist teams over the age of 18 years old who reside in the United States with experience implementing projects in public space. Local artists residing in the Northern California Bay Area Region are especially encouraged to apply.
INSTALLATION DURATION: Installations may be on view a minimum of 3 days and a maximum of two years, depending on the artwork and the site conditions.
- All installations must of the highest artistic quality and demonstrate mastery of skills and appropriateness of media and artistic concepts to a public setting.
- Installations should be engaging to the public and may include light, sound, or invite physical interaction.
- Installations that have a night-time presence as well as a day-time presence are encouraged.
- Cost of the installation balanced with the impact of the artwork.
Inclusion in the prequalified pool does not guarantee selection for specific installation sites. This call does not obligate the City to exhibit any of the proposals received in response to this call; nor does inclusion in the prequalified pool obligate the City to exhibit that artwork or artist.
1. Background Information
- Artist Resume;
- Artist Statement (350 words maximum) which outlines your interest in exhibiting work in Palo Alto, and provides a summary of your professional artistic experience.
- Details of the proposed artworks, including, but not limited to, the materials, dimensions (H x W x D and weight), required power sources, detailed information regarding installation method, anchoring procedure, and any necessary maintenance;
- Up to six images of the proposed artworks featuring full scale and detailed views;
- Budget, which should include, but is not limited to costs associated with transportation, installation, maintenance, artist fees and removal of the artwork;
- If previously exhibited, a list of locations where the artwork has been displayed;
- List how long you propose to exhibit the work and when the artwork is available for exhibition.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND REQUIREMENTS: Wednesday, April 12, 2015, by 10:59 (PST). All applications must be submitted online via CaFÉ™, an online application system for calls for entry at www.callforentry.org. There is no charge for artists to apply or use CaFÉ™. Applications that are mailed, faxed, or hand-delivered will not be considered.
CONTACT US: For additional information, contact the City of Palo Alto Public Art Program via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
STAY IN TOUCH: Artists interested in other public art opportunities are encouraged to visit the City of Palo Alto Public Art Program webpageand sign up for our monthly e-news.
ABOUT THE PALO ALTO PUBLIC ART PROGRAM: The City of Palo Alto Public Art Program is committed to contributing to the intellectual, emotional and creative life of the Palo Alto community and seeks to increase the public’s daily exposure to art. It strives to build the City’s reputation as a dynamic public art locale with works of diverse styles and disciplines, and the highest aesthetic standards. The Palo Alto Public Art Program is administered by the Community Services Department.