Aurora Metro Center is located at South Sable Boulevard and Centrepoint Drive in the City of Aurora. This station serves the Aurora Municipal Center and the Town Center with lots of shopping and restaurants.
Known as the historic Gateway to the Rockies, Aurora boasts more than 300 days of sunshine annually, ten award-winning golf courses and over 450 ethnic restaurants. Colorado’s third largest city is home to Buckley Air Force Base, the Colorado Freedom Memorial, and the world-renowned Anschutz Medical campus.
The preferred location for artwork at this station is on two different walls at the station. There should be both 2D and 3D art on the walls. The pieces should connect to the location and potentially be inclusive of the populations using this station. The station serves a large shopping mall as well as a busy RTD bus transfer. The strongest submittal will be a collaboration between a 2-dimensional muralist and a 3-dimensional sculptor.
- The movement, safety and security of pedestrians is a priority.
- The artwork will be outside and exposed to the elements. It must be able to withstand the constantly changing weather conditions of Colorado which include wide fluctuations in temperature and intense sunlight.
- The artwork must also be resistant to graffiti or vandalism.
- Materials used must be durable and require little or no maintenance.
- Prior approval for use of electricity is needed.
- Artwork proposed for any location by the tracks must not violate any of the clearance and safety regulations concerning the overhead electrical wires (that power the trains) or impede with any train operations.
- Artwork should not resemble official traffic or highway signs in any way.
A small group of finalists will be selected by the I-225 Rail Line Art Selection Committee, made up of artists, arts professionals, and community members. The finalists will be selected based on their past work. They will then make a site visit and prepare a proposal. The finalists will also be interviewed by the committee.
Additional Materials Needed:
8 images of past work
Two professional references
May 1, 2015 Call closes at midnight
May 26, 2015 Finalist artists notified and asked to prepare proposals
July 17, 2015 Committee interviews finalists/view proposals
July 20, 2015 Final artist notified of selection
Late Fall 2016 Artwork to be installed